Hosea part 1
The book of Hosea is almost like the book of Romans(jk) in the New Testament, although this romance is a very different kind of romance.
I have seen enough stories of how God calls people and then does ministry through their lives. We see prophets being called, we see their assignments, we see the messages they carry, and we see how God uses them to speak to His people. The ministry Hosea is engaged in, however, is one very unique ministry.
Yes, it is the ministry of reconciliation. God is trying to tell the northern kingdom, the ten tribes that were called Israel, that what they did was wrong. When the kingdom divided after Solomon, they followed Jeroboam and separated themselves from the southern kingdom of Judah. That separation became much more than a political division. It became a spiritual journey that took them further away from the Father. One wrong turn led to another, and another, until Israel had wandered so far that God now wanted them back.
To paint a picture of just how far they had gone, God decided to use the life of Hosea.
Hosea is a young man, perhaps in his twenties. He is at that stage of life when, according to the culture of his day, marriage would naturally be on the horizon. If he was following the normal pattern, sooner or later his parents would begin looking for a suitable woman for him. They would approach her family, conversations would be held, arrangements would be made, the customary marriage process would take place, and eventually Hosea would find himself a wife.
Perhaps before Hosea even went to his parents to tell them, “I think I am ready to get married,” or before his parents came to him and said, “Son, we think it is time,” God approaches him.
“I want you to get married.”
I can imagine Hosea sitting there, eager to hear the rest.
“Yes, Lord. I feel ready. Whom do You want me to marry?”
Then the Lord points in a direction nobody would expect: A whore house.
Now, depending on the Bible version you are reading, Hosea 1:2 can sound even more startling. The New King James Version says, “Go, take yourself a wife of harlotry and children of harlotry.” The wording has been understood in different ways, but the picture God gives Hosea is certainly not that of the respectable, carefully selected bride everyone would have expected him to marry. It seems she was a mother too.
I am imagining Hosea sitting there thinking, “God, what did You just say?”
“Do You want me to marry a woman who has lived this kind of life? A woman whose reputation is already known? A woman whose life does not fit the respectable picture of the wife I am supposed to bring home?”
Then perhaps Hosea goes around to his friends and tells them, “Guys, this is what I feel the Lord is leading me to do.”
I have a feeling they look at him and think, “If you have decided to become a comedian, please introduce yourself as one first, because this sounds like a very big joke. Except it is not a very good joke.”
“Why would a committed man like you do something like that?”
“Are you saying you are going to marry a prostitute?”
“Not date her first, lead her to the Lord, watch her walk with God for a few years and then perhaps marry her?”
“No.”
“Then what are you saying?”
“I am saying I am going to take her as my wife.”
Really?
Yet that is what the Lord told Hosea.
Hosea, unlike our brother Jonah, appears to have obeyed. If this record is understood as the text presents it, Hosea had no problem obeying God even when the assignment sounded strange. Even when it sounded uncomfortable. Even when it did not fit what people would have considered respectable. Hosea said, in essence, “Yes, Lord.”
He went and took Gomer as his wife.
I do not know what the wedding looked like if there was one. I do not know whether there was a public ceremony or whether his family agreed with what he was doing. I do not know whether he brought her into his father's home or established a home somewhere else. Scripture does not give us those details.
What I do know is that God was doing something much bigger than arranging a marriage. Hosea's life was becoming a picture painted on the canvas of Israel's story.
God was saying, in effect, “The same way it looks strange for Hosea to take this woman as his wife, that is how My pursuit of you looks to the nations. You have wandered. You have been unfaithful. You have given yourselves to other gods. Yet I am still pursuing you.”
Think about that.
The people may look at Hosea and say, “What is wrong with this man? Why would he do this? Why would he continue pursuing this woman?” God is saying, “Now you understand how My pursuit of you looks.”
That is the uncomfortable beauty of Hosea.
God is not simply announcing Israel's sin. He is showing them the heart of the One who continues to call them back.
The issue is not merely that Israel did something wrong. The deeper issue is that they had become unfaithful in a relationship. They had left the One who had chosen them, rescued them and called them His own.
So when God calls Hosea into this strange marriage, He is giving Israel a living sermon.
He is showing them what their unfaithfulness looks like.
He is showing them what His faithfulness looks like.
He is showing them what it means for God to pursue people who have wandered away.
When God calls the sinner back, He is not merely calling them back to a religious system. He is calling them back to faithfulness. He is calling them back into relationship.
That is where the book of Hosea becomes beautiful.
But let's indulge and see how this goes.
Part 2: https://mapstage.blogspot.com/2026/09/hosea-part-2.html

Comments
I'm blessed
'Yet He still pursues us' ⚡️🙏🏾